English  |  Français  |  Español
 
OMCT LogoOMCT logo
Make a donationRSSOMCT on FacebookOMCT on TwitterOMCT BlogHomeAbout OMCTActivitiesCATOMCT NetworkOMCT EuropeContactsMake a donation
  • Urgent campaigns
  • Assistance to victims
  • Human rights defenders
  • ESCR
  • Rights of the child
  • Violence against women
  • Monitoring protection mechanisms
 Save as PDF Print version
Human rights defenders / Statements / Syrian Arab Republic / 2015 / August

Syrian Arab Republic: Finally free, Mazen Darwish must now be acquitted

Syria PR
1 page / 137 KB

SYRIA: Finally free, Mazen Darwish must now be acquitted


Paris-Geneva, August 10, 2015 – The release today of prominent human rights defender Mazen Darwish, after three years and a half of detention, is a great relief, said the Observatory for the Protection of Human Rights Defenders. Despite his release, Mazen Darwish, like his colleagues Hussein Ghrer and Hani al-Zaitani, has been charged with “publicising terrorist acts” and is being tried before the Syrian Anti-Terrorism Court. Our organisation calls for all charges against them to be dropped. The verdict hearing is expected on August 31, 2015.

“Mazen, Hussein and Hani are not terrorists, they are human rights defenders,” FIDH President Karim Lahidji said today. “All charges against them must be dropped immediately”, he added.

Since they were arrested on February 16, 2012, the three human rights defenders have been held in conditions amounting to enforced disappearance and subjected to acts of torture on several occasions. Most recently, their whereabouts have been unknown for a period of almost two months between May 3 and June 30, 2015[1].

“We urge the Syrian Anti-Terrorism Court to acquit them during the verdict hearing on August 31, as their judicial harassment has only been aimed at sanctioning their human rights activities”, OMCT Secretary General Gerald Staberock concluded.

Mazen Darwish, Director of the Syrian Centre for Media and Freedom of Expression (SCM), an FIDH member-organisation, had been listed in an amnesty decree granted on the occasion of Eid al-Fitr, together with his colleagues Hussein Ghrer and Hani al-Zaitani. These latter were released respectively on July 17 and 18, 2015[2].

On May 15, 2013, in its Resolution 67/262, the UN General Assembly called for the release of the three defenders. In January 2014, the UN Working Group on Arbitrary Detention also found that the three defenders had been arbitrarily deprived of their liberty due to their human rights activities and called for their immediate release. Finally, UN Security Council Resolution 2139, adopted on February 22, 2014, also demanded the release of all arbitrarily detained people in Syria.

The Observatory has been calling on Syrian authorities to release Mazen, Hussein and Hani since their arrest on February 16, 2012. It its is only a year later that they were charged before an investigating judge of the Anti-Terrorism Court, referring explicitly to Mazen Darwish's work to promote and protect human rights to indict them.

The Observatory for the Protection of Human Rights Defenders (OBS) was created in 1997 by FIDH and the World Organisation Against Torture (OMCT). The objective of this programme is to intervene to prevent or remedy to situations of repression against human rights defenders.

For more information, please contact :

FIDH : Lucie Kroening (French / English / German / Arabic) - Tel: +33 6 48 05 91 57 (Paris) ; Arthur Manet (French / English / Spanish) - Tel : +33 6 72 28 42 94 (Paris)

OMCT : Miguel Martín Zumalacárregui (Spanish / English / French ) - Tel: +41 22 809 49 24 (Geneva/Brussels)



[1] See the Observatory’s Press Release of May 19, 2015

[2] See the Observatory’s Press Release of July 24, 2015.

Properties

Date: August 10, 2015
Activity: Human Rights Defenders
Type: Statements
Country: Syrian Arab Republic
Subjects: Arbitrary arrests and enforced disappearances, Human Rights Defenders, Threats, intimidation and harassment

Share this

Tweet

Related articles

  • Syrian Arab Republic:  Press Release: Selective application of amnesty leaves Mazen Darwish in jail
    Statements / July 24, 2015
  • Syrian Arab Republic:  Concern for the enforced disappearance of 3 human rights defenders
    Statements / May 19, 2015
  • Syrian Arab Republic:  Press Release: Verdict against 3 prominent human rights defenders expected on March 25
    Statements / March 18, 2015
  • Syrian Arab Republic:  Joint Statement: Free Human Rights Defenders Held 3 Years
    Urgent Interventions / February 16, 2015

Languages

This page is available in:


You can also translate it on the fly:

Recently Viewed Articles

OMCT International Secretariat
PO Box 21, 8, rue du Vieux-Billard, CH-1211 Geneva 8, Switzerland
Tel: + 41 22 809 4939
Fax: + 41 22 809 4929
E-mail:
OMCT Europe
Rue Franklin 111
1000 Brussels
Tel. / Fax: +32 2 218 37 19
E-mail:
OMCT TUNIS
3, Rue Hassen Ibn Nooman
Cité Jardins | Tunis 1002
Tel: +216 71 791 114
Fax: +216 71 791 115
E-mail:
  • Blog
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Rss
  • Privacy Policy