English  |  Français  |  Español
 
OMCT LogoOMCT logo
Make a donationRSSOMCT on FacebookOMCT on TwitterOMCT BlogHomeAbout OMCTActivitiesCATOMCT NetworkOMCT EuropeContactsMake a donation
  • Urgent campaigns
  • Assistance to victims
  • Human rights defenders
  • ESCR
  • Rights of the child
  • Violence against women
  • Monitoring protection mechanisms
 Save as PDF Print version
Human rights defenders / Urgent Interventions / Bahrain / 2016 / December

Bahrain: Court postpones verdict for the fifth time of human rights defender Nabeel Rajab, facing up to 15 years in jail

​ 

Paris-Geneva, December 16, 2016 - For the fifth time in a row, Court postpones verdict of human rights defender Nabeel Rajab as he remains jailed for his tweets and his human rights activities in violation of his right to freedom of expression. Furthermore, the health of Mr. Rajab has seriously deteriorated since his arrest in June 2016.

 

On December 15, 2016, after a fifteen minutes hearing during which Nabeel Rajab was not allowed to speak, the Fourth High Criminal Court postponed the verdict until December 28, 2016 and refused to release him, after he has spent more than six months in pre-trial detention.

 

“In a sad parody of justice, Bahraini authorities are punishing Nabeel Rajab for exercising his right to freedom of expression. Mr. Rajab should be released immediately and unconditionally”, said FIDH President Dimitris Christopoulos.

 

Nabeel Rajab is co-founder and President of the Bahrain Center for Human Rights (BCHR), founding director of the Gulf Center for Human Rights (GCHR), Deputy Secretary General of FIDH from 2012 to 2016 and a member of the Middle East advisory committee at Human Rights Watch. He was arrested on June 13, 2016 on several charges and has suffered from poor health in prison including irregular heartbeats, an ulcer and problems with his gallbladder.

 

Nabeel Rajab is facing up to 15 years in prison on charges related to comments posted on Twitter in 2015 about the conditions of detention in Jaw prison and the war in Yemen. According to the United Nations, the Saudi-led coalition airstrikes in Yemen have so far been responsible for the deaths of thousands of civilians[1].

 

“The detention of one of Bahrain’s most prominent defender for speaking out on rights violations sends a chilling message about the status of human rights in the country”, said OMCT Secretary General Gerald Staberock.

 

Mr. Rajab is facing charges of allegedly “offending a foreign country” (Saudi Arabia) and “offending national institutions” for the comments about the alleged torture of inmates in Bahrain’s Jaw Prison in March 2015. In September 2016, an additional charge was brought against Mr. Rajab following the publication on September 5, 2016 of an Op-Ed in The New York Times with his by-line, which discussed the conditions of his imprisonment and arrest. He was charged with “intentionally broadcasting false news and malicious rumors abroad impairing the prestige of the state”, which carries an additional one-year prison term.

 

His peaceful human rights activism and criticism of the Bahraini authorities has resulted in his imprisonment on two previous occasions, between May 2012 and May 2014, and between January 2015 and July 2015. In 2013, the United Nations Working Group on Arbitrary Detention (WGAD) found that Mr. Rajab’s detention was arbitrary, noting that the “domestic laws of Bahrain (…) seem to deny persons the basic right to freedom of opinion, expression”[2].

 

The Observatory for the Protection of Human Rights Defenders (FIDH-OMCT partnership) urges the international community to urgently take a strong stand against the systematic repression of human rights defenders in Bahrain.

 

The Observatory for the Protection of Human Rights Defenders (the Observatory) was created in 1997 by FIDH and the World Organisation Against Torture (OMCT). The objective of this programme is to intervene to prevent or remedy situations of repression against human rights defenders. FIDH and OMCT are both members of ProtectDefenders.eu, the European Union Human Rights Defenders Mechanism implemented by international civil society.



[1] See Article in Reuters: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-yemen-security-toll-idUSKCN11516W

[2] Working Group on Arbitrary Detention, Opinion A/HRC/WGAD/2013/12 No. 12/2013, July 25, 2013, available at: http://daccess-dds-ny.un.org/doc/UNDOC/GEN/G13/159/40/PDF/G1315940.pdf?OpenElement.

Properties

Date: December 16, 2016
Activity: Human Rights Defenders
Type: Urgent Interventions
Country: Bahrain
Subjects: Arbitrary arrests and enforced disappearances, Human Rights Defenders, Threats, intimidation and harassment

Share this

Tweet

Related articles

  • Bahrain:  Joint Open Letter to Boris Johnson calling for the release of jailed human rights defender Nabeel Rajab
    Urgent Interventions / February 3, 2017
  • Bahrain:  Continued judicial harassment and arbitrary detention of Mr. Nabeel Rajab
    Urgent Interventions / January 9, 2017
  • Bahrain:  Human rights defender Nabeel Rajab re-arrested on other charges despite court order to temporarily release him
    Urgent Interventions / December 30, 2016
  • Bahrain:  Renewed judicial harassment against Mr. Nabeel Rajab ahead of his verdict
    Urgent Interventions / December 22, 2016
  • Bahrain:  53 NGOs urge UN to voice support for Nabeel Rajab
    Urgent Interventions / December 20, 2016
  • Bahrain:  Renewed judicial harassment against Mr. Nabeel Rajab ahead of his verdict
    Urgent Interventions / December 1, 2016
  • Bahrain:  Joint Press Release: Court postpones verdict for human rights defender Nabeel Rajab, facing up to 15 years in jail
    Urgent Interventions / November 2, 2016
  • Bahrain:  High Criminal Court postpones the trial of human rights defender Nabeel Rajab to 31 October
    Urgent Interventions / October 7, 2016
  • Bahrain:  ‘Call for Nabeel Rajab’s release’, rights groups urge 50 governments
    Urgent Interventions / September 15, 2016

Languages

This page is available in:

English


You can also translate it on the fly:

Recently Viewed Articles

OMCT International Secretariat
PO Box 21, 8, rue du Vieux-Billard, CH-1211 Geneva 8, Switzerland
Tel: + 41 22 809 4939
Fax: + 41 22 809 4929
E-mail:
OMCT Europe
Rue Franklin 111
1000 Brussels
Tel. / Fax: +32 2 218 37 19
E-mail:
OMCT TUNIS
3, Rue Hassen Ibn Nooman
Cité Jardins | Tunis 1002
Tel: +216 71 791 114
Fax: +216 71 791 115
E-mail:
  • Blog
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Rss
  • Privacy Policy