English  |  Français  |  Español
 
OMCT LogoOMCT logo
Make a donationRSSOMCT on FacebookOMCT on TwitterOMCT BlogHomeAbout OMCTActivitiesCATOMCT NetworkOMCT EuropeContactsMake a donation
  • Urgent campaigns
  • Assistance to victims
  • Human rights defenders
  • ESCR
  • Rights of the child
  • Violence against women
  • Monitoring protection mechanisms
 Save as PDF Print version
Human rights defenders / Urgent Interventions / Turkey / 2014 / December

Turkey: Justice at last! Pınar Selek acquitted after 16 years of judicial harassment

Turkey_PR_191214
1 page / 267 KB

Paris-Geneva, December 19, 2014. The Observatory welcomes the long-awaited for court decision to acquit Ms. Pınar Selek, 16 years after her arrest and protracted judicial harassment on fabricated charges of terrorism.

 

Today, the Istanbul High Criminal Court No. 15 acquitted Ms. Pınar Selek, an academic known for her commitment towards the rights of the most vulnerable communities in Turkey. She was prosecuted for allegedly causing a bomb to explode in Istanbul’s Egyptian bazaar on July 9, 1998, and for membership in a terrorist organisation.

 

In 1998, Ms. Pınar Selek was arrested and accused of supporting the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) and then of causing a bomb to explode. On the basis of these accusations, she was detained during two years and subjected to torture and ill-treatment, until her provisional release in 2000. Court’s investigations largely confirmed the absence of any bomb and attributed the explosion to a gas leak. In addition the other defendant in the case who had accused her during interrogation withdrew his statement during the trial.

 

“Since the outset the police and prosecution have failed to demonstrate that Ms. Pınar Selek had been involved in any terrorism-related activity. We welcome the decision of the court to acquit her at last”, said FIDH President Karim Lahidji.

 

Previously, the Istanbul Special Heavy Penal Court No. 12 had acquitted her on three occasions: in 2006, 2008, and 2011. Notwithstanding, the Supreme Court quashed the first two acquittal decisions and requested the lower court to convict her. In, 2013, the Istanbul Special Heavy Criminal Court No. 12 deferred to the Supreme Court's request and sentenced Ms. Pınar Selek to life imprisonment, while the case was still pending before the Supreme Court. On June 11, 2014, the Criminal Chamber No. 9 of the Supreme Court decided to overturn the conviction on procedural grounds.

 

“Countless procedural irregularities have been observed during the trial. She should have never been prosecuted in the first place. This decision should now become final”, recalled Martin Pradel, Lawyer at the Paris Bar, who has been observing the legal process for the Observatory since 2011.

 

“The ongoing judicial harassment of Ms. Pınar Selek illustrated Turkey's failure to live up to its repeated pledges to respect and protect human rights. This decision is a positive sign for the future”, said OMCT Secretary General Gerald Staberock.

 

The Observatory welcomes the acquittal of Ms. Pınar Selek and thanks all the persons, institutions and organisations who intervened in their favour. In addition, the Observatory calls upon the Turkish authorities to ensure the protection and a favourable environment for human rights defenders.

 

The Observatory has been particulary mobilised on this case, through the publication of nine urgent alerts, six trial observations and demarches towards the Turkish authorities and the international community at the highest level. For more information see Observatory mission report published in April 2014, available in English on the following web links:

http://www.omct.org/files/2014/04/22642/turkey_mission_report_pinar_selek_2014.pdf

 

For further information, please contact:

• FIDH: Audrey Couprie / Arthur Manet: + 33 1 43 55 25 18

• OMCT: Miguel Martín Zumalacárreguil: +41 22 809 49 24 (Geneva)

Properties

Date: December 19, 2014
Activity: Human Rights Defenders
Type: Urgent Interventions
Country: Turkey
Subjects: Arbitrary arrests and enforced disappearances, Human Rights Defenders, Justice system

Share this

Tweet

Languages

This page is available in:


You can also translate it on the fly:

Recently Viewed Articles

OMCT International Secretariat
PO Box 21, 8, rue du Vieux-Billard, CH-1211 Geneva 8, Switzerland
Tel: + 41 22 809 4939
Fax: + 41 22 809 4929
E-mail:
OMCT Europe
Rue Franklin 111
1000 Brussels
Tel. / Fax: +32 2 218 37 19
E-mail:
OMCT TUNIS
3, Rue Hassen Ibn Nooman
Cité Jardins | Tunis 1002
Tel: +216 71 791 114
Fax: +216 71 791 115
E-mail:
  • Blog
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Rss
  • Privacy Policy